Should I use a script? It’s one of the most common questions The Showrunner hosts Jerod Morris and Jonny Nastor get from aspiring first-time Showrunners.
In this week’s episode, they analyze when it’s right to use a script … and when it’s not.
But they start with a fun question that was posed in their Showrunner Course forum … based on a dream someone had: if your house was being flooded, and you could only save what you could carry, what items would you grab?
Then they hop into script talk and discuss the following:
- Which formats work with scripts, and which ones do not
- The long-term drawbacks to using scripts
- Why it’s perfectly fine to use scripts when you’re first starting out (Jerod and Jonny did!) … but why your goal should be weaning yourself off needing scripts before too long
- What they mean when they say “use scripts as a tool, not a crutch”
- How Jerod and Jonny still make use of scripts to this day
- Why writing is an important preparation tool before you record, even if you’re not scripting exactly what you’re going to say
The Showrunner on iTunes